I live in the US on an F-1 student visa, and I go to grad school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My I-20 thus mentions Pennsylvania as my state of residence. However, I have moved to Illinois with my wife earlier this year and work remotely (traveling to Philly once a month or so and staying in hotels).

When I apply for a Schengen visa, should I be applying at a consulate that serves PA (which is my official residence on my visa status/I-20) or one that serves IL (where I have all my address proofs of)?

1 Answer 1


You actually live in Illinois, so you should apply to the consulate serving Illinois.

You also should update your I-20, if appropriate.

  • Thanks, but I cannot update my I-20 till I graduate because that is tied to my university (which is in PA).
    – wrahool
    Feb 8, 2019 at 21:07
  • @wrahool You can't even change your address with the university? Feb 8, 2019 at 23:17
  • I can and I have, but the I-20 has my university's address; not my address. Visa officials interpret that to mean that I also reside in that or a neighboring region.
    – wrahool
    Feb 9, 2019 at 1:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.