I have dual citizenship, British born, Jamaican by descent. I am the administrator of my late fathers property in Jamaica and spend a lot of time there as a result. I've met the man i would like to marry, but want to marry in UK so the whole family can be there as opposed to one or two flying out for the event.

I'm a student, don't have much cash but i can prove i have a regular income albeit as a host from self employment He hasn't got a pot to p@ss in or a window to throw it out of, but will be getting added to a family members bank account as joint holder to show he has 'access' to a lil something.

I myself don't plan on living in UK as i want to return to Jamaica and live in the house my father left. I have no more dependents the children are grown (yay!)

Would the fact I'm a dual citizen, and the administrator of my dads house support I have plans to be back in Jamaica with my husband? If he states he has a child there (JA) that he wants to see grow up and he wants to be around his (father sisters etc) extended family show he has strong personal ties he must return for? I look forward to your thoughts.

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not about traveling.
    – Neusser
    Feb 7 '19 at 20:34
  • 4
    @Neusser Yes it is. The question is about the fiancé travelling to the UK to get married. It's a bit unfocussed at the moment but it is definitely about travelling.
    – MJeffryes
    Feb 7 '19 at 20:48
  • @Neusser, im a new poster, forgive me
    – LadyInRed
    Feb 7 '19 at 20:59
  • @MJffryes thank you, and i agree its currently a little unfocused. Can you point me in right direction where this question may be better discussed?
    – LadyInRed
    Feb 7 '19 at 21:01
  • 1
    @LadyInRed Where are you resident right now? There are some restrictions on giving notice to get married in the U.K. gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships
    – Traveller
    Feb 7 '19 at 22:14

Your question is a little vague, but let me assume it boils down to "what do I need to do to get married to my Jamaican fiance in the UK?"

To be married in the UK your fiance needs a Marriage Visa. A normal tourist visa will not do it - your marriage would be illegal if you tried. Getting a Marriage Visa is harder than a tourist visa - he essentially has to show even more firmly than a tourist visa that he won't want to stay in the UK after the marriage. You can Google the requirements. I'm not expert enough to say if he would get a Marriage Visa or not.

One thing I should suggest, which you don't have to act on, is that it would be easier for the two of you to go to a registry office in Jamaica (or whatever the Jamaican equivalent is) and get legally married, and then come back to the UK and have a 'real' but not legally binding wedding. You can do the whole thing with vows, bridesmaids, white dresses, champagne and lots of family, just without the legal part, which will already have been done. This can be done on a Standard Visitor Visa, as long as you make it completely clear that you are already married. As someone married to a British citizen he should find it even easier to visit. This might also be a fallback option if your finance fails to get a Marriage Visa.

  • 1
    What kind of UK visa would they need in case they follow your suggestion in the last paragraph?
    – mdd
    Feb 8 '19 at 0:21
  • 1
    @mdd Standard visitor visa. Feb 8 '19 at 8:53
  • @DJClayworth If the Marriage visa were to be refused, wouldn’t that make refusal of a subsequent Standard Visitor visa application virtually certain? Being married to a British citizen doesn’t always make it easier to get a Visitor visa. Applicants have to satisfy the same basic eligibility requirements regarding genuine intention to visit/leave at the end of stay for both types. Perhaps the best option would be to forget the Marriage visa option and marry in Jamaica as you suggest, then apply for a SVV with the credible premise of visiting family after a recent wedding.
    – Traveller
    Feb 8 '19 at 11:01
  • @Traveller, i appreciate that thank you. I too am aware it doesnt become easier to visit the uK because of marrige to a British citizen. The idea applying for a standard visitors visa after a wedding in order to meet the British side of 'our' family is very credible as we could have a blessing in the UK too in the presence of our UK family and retun to jamaica where i would continue to oversee adminstration of late fathers property.
    – LadyInRed
    Feb 8 '19 at 22:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.