I see a lot of museums in Vienna that offer reduced senior prices with "valid pensioner's ID." I assume that is an official government document. Would they accept an American passport or is the discount only for their country's elderly citizens?

closed as too broad by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Giorgio, skifans, David Richerby, Ali Awan Feb 5 at 17:56

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Even within Vienna, each museum has its own rules for reduced tickets. I am voting to close this question as too broad. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Feb 5 at 8:25
  • 1
    I have edited the header to match the body, making it less broad. – Willeke Feb 5 at 11:28
  • 2
    @Tor-EinarJarnbjo if the answer is that there is no standardization, that's an answer. If there is a "best practice" used by most museums, that's also an answer. If there is a specific statute authoritatively defining eligibility for a "Vienna Senior Discount Program for Museums and Other Educational Venues", that's an even better answer. – Robert Columbia Feb 5 at 11:56

Most Viennese museums request just a valid ID/Passport/Driving License which shows the age. Same is valid in rest of Austria. Other countries might have different rules.

For example, "The Kunsthistorische Museum" in Vienna mentions

  • "Pensionisten ab 65 oder mit gültigem Pensionistenausweis"
  • "Pensioners over 65 or with valid pensioner card"

The EU law does not allow more expensive ticket prices for non-Austrian Europeans. Same is valid for other EU countries. No special tariffs for locals (https://www.konsument.at/markt-dienstleistung/eu-einheimischentarife). There are few exceptions such general transport tickets. I haven't seen that museums request European passports on entry and it would be a hassle to verify if a pensioner id is connected to one of the 28 EU member countries. So I guess it doesn't matter from where you are.

  • 1
    From my personal experience in Austria, but also other European countries, this is correct and also applies to other discounts. For example any student ID would be OK, and it would be strange to reject a student ID issued by a country outside of Europe. – M. Stern Feb 5 at 20:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.