I am a green card holder but after a year here in the United States I decided to go back to my native country. Can I surrender my green card and apply for multiple entries since I want to travel as a tourist more than a US citizen?

  • Note that surrendering your green card does not guarantee you will get a visitor visa. Your visa application will be judged like any other visitor visa application from a foreigner, including requiring you to convince the officer that you do not intend to immigrate on the visa.
    – user102008
    Commented Jan 17, 2019 at 16:52

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can surrender your green card, and yes, you can apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa. You would file Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, and then you would apply for your visa using the online DS-160. You'll also need to schedule an interview appointment at a US embassy or consulate.

You may want to consider the tax implications of doing this; questions about that would be off topic here, but you could ask at Expatriates or Personal Finance and Money.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .