I have a United States driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement, the associated IDP, and I have been riding motorcycles for years. I've also previously rented motorbikes in Thailand and China for extended periods of time.

I want to buy a typical 100-150cc motorbike in Hanoi and ride into Laos and Cambodia and back into Vietnam.

  • I want to do everything legally and have my travel insurance cover me in case something happens.
  • It's my understanding that Vietnam does not accept IDPs, so I would need to get an actual Vietnamese motorbike license.


  • Considering I have a full motorbike license in the USA and the IDP, how quickly can I get a motorbike license in Vietnam?
  • Which agency would you recommend I go with to help me get this license, and how long would it take to get?
  • Am I able to legally cross into and ride in Laos and Cambodia with either a Vietnamese license or an American license with IDP?
  • Is there no way to cross into Thailand on a Vietnamese motorbike if the blue card isn't in your name?
  • Any recommendations on motorbike models to get? I'd like to avoid the ubiquitous Honda Win since they seem to have a lot of problems.

closed as too broad by Uciebila, Ali Awan, Daniil, bytebuster, David Sep 18 at 20:38

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • As of three years ago when I was there it was illegal for foreigners (non-citizen) to own or even rent vehicles without a driver. We all did, of course. Lonely Planet indicates that foreigners with IDP can now rent cars, though no agency will rent one without a driver. – Roddy of the Frozen Peas Jan 11 at 2:37