I have a French scientific residence card which will expire in 31 January 2019.

I want to travel France for one week before the expiry date. I am wondering if it is possible to reserve a ticket? will the airport allow me to travel? If yes, so when should I choose the departure date? and if no, so why?

I have heard that I can travel only if my residence card expires in 6 months. Is this true?

Please any help will be very appreciated.

(from comment): I'm not in France right now. I'm thinking of visiting France between the 16th and 25th of January.

  • It isn't clear from your question - are you currently in France? Where do you wish to travel? What is your nationality? Generally with a scientifique TDS you can exit and re-enter France or the Schengen area as long as it's valid. I've never heard of the 6 month rule before. – la femme cosmique Jan 5 '19 at 11:48
  • Salut! merci pour votre réponse. Non je ne suis pas en France maintenant. Je pense à visiter la France entre 16 et 25 Janvier. Oui c'est quand même bizarre pour moi le truc de 6 mois. Du coup j'ai une carte de séjour scientifique Française. – Christina Jan 5 '19 at 12:16
  • Ahhh d'accord. Je ne suis pas sûr dans ce cas. Je pense que vous pouvez être absent de la France pendant 6 mois ou un an sans perdre de sa validité, mais cela dépend si votre départ a été enregistré (par exemple, dans un aéroport quittant la zone Schengen). C'est donc avec risque. Si vous avez un passeport sans visa, vous devriez pouvoir vous passer sans TDS. Sinon je ne sais pas. Désolé. – la femme cosmique Jan 5 '19 at 13:23
  • 1
    @lafemmecosmique en tout cas merci beaucoup pour votre temps! Je vais me renseigner demain à l'ambassade pour plus d'informations. Bzx – Christina Jan 7 '19 at 9:16
  • 1
    @lafemmecosmique Oui en fait j'ai appelé aujourd'hui l'ambassade de France. Bah du coup je peux rentrer la France même si avant 1 jour de l'expiration de la carte de séjour! Alors aucun problème pour rentrer la France:) Merci et bonne année 2019! – Christina Jan 8 '19 at 20:36

I have heard that I can travel only if my residence card expires in 6 months. Is this true?

No, it is not true.

The Schengen Borders Code (Articles 6 and 8) stipulates only that a residence permit must be valid and that this must be checked.

It does not state that it must be valid for a specific time on the date of entry.

Article 6
Entry conditions for third-country nationals
1 (b) they are in possession of a valid visa, if required pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 ( 1 ), except where they hold a valid residence permit or a valid long-stay visa;
Article 8
Border checks on persons
3. thorough checks as follows:
(a) thorough checks on entry shall comprise verification of the conditions governing entry laid down in Article 6(1) and, where applicable, of documents authorising residence and the pursuit of a professional activity. This shall include a detailed examination covering the following aspects:
(ii) verification that the travel document is accompanied, where applicable, by the requisite visa or residence permit;


  • It might be worthwhile to mention that this is a frequent misunderstanding, and that it probably arises because of minimum passport validity requirements. – phoog Mar 18 '20 at 4:30
  • @phoog I was considering adding 1(a) of Article 6, but it states 3 months after intended end of visit. Not being so clear cut, I left it out. – Mark Johnson Mar 18 '20 at 4:41
  • That three month requirement is often added to the 90-day period of admission to generate a.spurious requirement that the passport must be valid for six months at the time admission. And of course other countries may have a six month validity requirement. It's certainly confusing for the average traveler. – phoog Mar 18 '20 at 4:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.