My student visa has already expired in October, but I’ve already applied for a renewal back in August. They gave me a recipisse de demande de carte de séjour which is valid till February 2019. This is my first application and I’m still waiting to receive my carte de séjour since I renewed. I'm currently in the Philippines for the holidays and I’m supposed to be back on the 7th, will I be able to re-enter France with the recipisse? I've been so stressed about this.


Unfortunately no, because this is your first demande for a carte de sejour. If you leave France, your application will be considered abandoned and technically you would be required to apply for a new visa from your home country.

Source: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12189

In which it says (badly translated):

You have a receipt for a first application for a residence permit, or a temporary residence permit as an asylum seeker, or a receipt for asylum seekers

and gives the result:

To cross the borders, you will need to apply for a consular visa back to the French consulate of the country in which you are staying.

However, if you are a national from a visa-free country, you may be able to exit and come back. Technically the law does not support it, but people do it all the time. I wouldn't recommend it personally.

If your nationality requires a visa to enter France as a visitor, you definitely cannot.

edit: I just read that you're from the Philippines and that you're already out of the country. Unfortunately, you require a visa to re-enter France at this time. I would contact the French embassy in your locality as quickly as possible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.