I am an Indian passport holder travelling from China to India via Kuala Lumpur, on Air Asia tickets bought separately. The layover is 4 hours and 30 minutes.

Do I need a transit visa?


Timatic, the database which airlines use to verify passenger documents, states in relevant part:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Nationals of Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka who reside in country of nationality transiting through Kuala Lumpur (KUL) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country on Malaysia Airlines (MH) or Air Asia (AK) within 120 hours. They must:

  • have a visa issued by Australia, China (People's Rep.), Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea (Rep.), New Zealand or USA, and
  • stay in the international transit area of the airport, and

  • have documents required for the next destination.

You may need to present both of your tickets when you check in at your first flight.

  • Correct assuming lives in India
    – Crazydre
    Dec 31 '18 at 22:35
  • i am an Indian with a multiple entry Chinese business visa Jan 1 '19 at 2:38
  • @Michael Hampton so you mean that i am qualified for the TWOV (Transit Without Visa) and i should get both of my boarding passes at my check-in in china Jan 1 '19 at 2:45
  • It certainly looks that way. Jan 1 '19 at 7:46
  • @mikezfabulousmikey Correct
    – Crazydre
    Jan 1 '19 at 11:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.