I will be flying to Japan next month for work. I have obtained the Certificate of Eligibility which is valid for 3 months from my employer in Japan. I have a short term visa which is valid for 3 month therefore, I cannot get a residence card. I want to know how can I open a bank account without a residence card which is required for opening a bank account?

  • I don't think you can without a residence card. This strongly suggests you have the wrong visa. The short stay visa can't be used for paid activities. – xuq01 Dec 31 '18 at 14:25
  • @xuq01 There is no such thing as "the short stay visa". Many types of visas can be issued for short periods, including so-called "work visas". – fkraiem Dec 31 '18 at 14:29
  • @fkraiem My COE is valid for 3 months only and I have just applied for VISA with long stay. My COE status is “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/ Int’l services” – Mahavir Munot Dec 31 '18 at 15:41
  • 2
    Then you will get a residence card when you enter Japan, provided that your visa is for a period of stay longer than three months. Why do you say you have a short term visa? – fkraiem Dec 31 '18 at 16:10
  • 2
    The validity period of the CoE is not related to the allowed period of stay in Japan (the CoE need only be valid when you enter Japan). – fkraiem Dec 31 '18 at 16:49

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.