The jacket or cover page of my passport has separated from the main booklet, everything else is intact including picture, signature, number etc. Will it be considered a damaged passport and can I travel abroad on its basis? Will it be held by immigration officers?

  • That sounds like the dictionary definition of damaged. – user 56513 Dec 24 '18 at 13:40
  • Why the downvote? – DavidSupportsMonica Dec 24 '18 at 18:21
  • @David Not my downvote but it's hard to imagine how something that has been broken into two separate pieces isn't "damaged". It's not like it's a small tear on page 17 or something. – David Richerby Dec 24 '18 at 18:53
  • @DavidRicherby To you and me and those more experienced, sure. But some folks are new at this, and sometimes it's hard to imagine how clueless new ones can be. – DavidSupportsMonica Dec 24 '18 at 21:01
  • 1
    @David I'm not sure how much experience is needed to compare a passport with a detached cover against the ordinary English-language use of the word "damaged". – David Richerby Dec 24 '18 at 23:47

It is definitely 'damaged' and will not accepted.

The biometric chip is in the cover, so with the separation you could use a different cover = different biometric chip. If they would accept that, every terrorist would simply use a stolen cover with his real inside pass...

  • Or a fake cover, and claiming that the chip stopped working. – Michael Hampton Dec 24 '18 at 20:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.