I am an EU national and my wife has non-EU nationality with a permanent residence card from the Netherlands. We both work in the Netherlands with permanent jobs.

We applied for her EEA family permit as we wanted to go for holidays to the UK in Aug. 18. Her EEA permit expires in Jan. 19 and we are planning to visit the UK again in Feb. 19 for 1-2 weeks. Can we apply for a new EEA permit before her previous EEA permit is expired?

For a UK tourist visa we need to wait for 6 months before we make a new application. Is this valid for an EEA family permit as well?

  • I googled overlapping EEA permits since this question is relevant for me too. A user on an expat forum said that it wasn't an issue; when his wife got a new EEA FP, the old one was cancelled (with a cancelled stamp on it). – Ewige Studentin Dec 15 '18 at 19:02
  • thanks for your response. I will make an appointment and see how they respond. – Ganesh Kandge Dec 16 '18 at 20:26
  • Does your wife's card note that she is the family member of an EU citizen? If so, she does not need an EEA family permit. – phoog Dec 16 '18 at 23:25
  • unfortuantey its doesnt say anything like that. She had recently renewed her residence permit (permanent) but not sure why its not mentioned. May be its needed to request separately. – Ganesh Kandge Dec 18 '18 at 8:19
  • She probably has a national residence permit. The Article 10 card (stating she's a family member) is issued afaik by a different EU country (not the one you are the citizen of) if you both live there. – Ewige Studentin Dec 28 '18 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.