I have a valid Visa which is stamped but didn't go to US till now with it. My question is can I travel to US for just a week with this? My intention is just to enter US and come back before it expires so that next time when I want to work in US, I can escape from the H1B lottery system.

I have the petition valid and work for the same employer who filled the petition for me.

closed as off-topic by user 56513, Giorgio, Ali Awan, Mark Mayo Dec 12 '18 at 22:51

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Do you still intend to work for the employer who filed the petition for your H1B? – Patricia Shanahan Dec 12 '18 at 13:23
  • I have the petition valid and work for the same employer who filled the petition for me. – sai kiran Dec 12 '18 at 13:28
  • 1
    The situation would be simpler if you could start work for your employer during the trip. Arriving with an H1B to start the job for which it was issued is a normal event. – Patricia Shanahan Dec 12 '18 at 13:36
  • 3
    If the employer does not intend to employ you in the United States where you will live and work you cannot use that visa to enter legally. The H1B visa is not a visitors visa. – user 56513 Dec 12 '18 at 13:47
  • 1
    If you're entering for the purpose of working in the US for your employer then I don't quite understand why you're even asking the question (which is why I assumed that you were not going to be working for your employer). If you're asking whether a short trip of the sort that would also be allowed on a B-1 visa can be done under H-1B then that's possibly a better fit for Expatriates, especially as you're interested in the consequences for future lotteries, which is off topic here. I've deleted my answer. I may edit and restore it later. – phoog Dec 12 '18 at 14:17

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.