I’m a permanent resident (Green Card holder) in the USA and I’m flying to Jordan through Frankfurt. If I would like to enter Germany for a short visit, maximum 7-8 days, can I apply for a transit visa that allows me to enter Germany or do I have to apply for a Schengen visa?

  • 7
    Transit visa does not allow you to leave the airport. And visiting for 7-8 days is in no way a transit.
    – Neusser
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 6:27
  • 1
    What country issued your passport? Commented Jul 2, 2019 at 5:06
  • Schengen wants to know your nationality, residence permits are totally irrelevant. These include the precious US Green Cards issued by lotteries. You will use your US Green Card to re-enter the US after your visit to Jordan Commented Aug 5, 2019 at 9:09

1 Answer 1


As already mentioned in the comments, what you plan (7-8 days) is not a transit. Holding a green card itself doesn't allow you to enter the Schengen area without a visa, so it's up to your nationality. In this document you can find a list of all countries whose nationals are required to be in possession of a visa. Europe.eu also shows an interactive map where you can see if you need a visa or not.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .