I'm from a non-EEA country and I previously filled out landing cards to enter the UK. Now I'm a UK resident with a Tier 2 visa. Do I still have to fill out those cards?

Home Office already know the following information about me. Actually they know all except 'contact address' even if I'm not a resident.

  • Family name
  • First name
  • Sex
  • Town and country of birth
  • Nationality
  • Contact address in the UK (in full)
  • Passport no

This field is not applicable. The officer filled in this herself when I entered with the 'entry clearance' vignette, but I don't remember what she wrote.

  • Length of stay in the UK

Maybe the following fields provide some information for statistics, however they must already have the passenger lists.

  • Port of last departure
  • Arrival flight
  • I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that everyone who isn't an EU/EEA national must fill in the landing card, even if they are a UK resident, at least until they finally get rid of them. – Michael Hampton Dec 10 '18 at 22:18
  • For the record, I seemed to remember there were plans to scrap landing cards sometime last year. Clearly it fell through. – B.Liu Dec 11 '18 at 8:43

@MichaelHampton is correct. While a Tier 2 visa allows you to live and work in the UK, as a non-EEA national you would still need to complete a landing card. However, there is an exception you might consider, the Registered Traveller, should you be eligible.

Entering the UK

You’re from a non-EEA country

Your carrier will give you a landing card - fill this in before you arrive at border control.

Your passport, landing card (and visa if you have one) will be checked.

You’ll usually be asked why you’re coming to the UK.

Keep documents that show the reason for your visit in your hand luggage, so you can show them if asked, for example your travel itinerary, work permit or university letter.

Registered Travellers

If you’ve joined the Registered Traveller service, you can use the:

  • UK/EEA channels
  • automatic ePassport gates if your passport has a ‘chip’

You will not need a landing card at some UK airports.

Travelling with a UK biometric visa

You’ll have a biometric visa if your fingerprints were taken when you applied.

Your fingerprints will be checked at border control - they’ll be checked against the ones stored on your visa document.

  • 1
    then again, for the occasional traveler it's often more of a hassle and cost factor to sign up for such services than to fill out the cards. – jwenting Dec 11 '18 at 4:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy