My cousin that lives in the UK is the grandson of my father's uncle. Basically, my father and my cousin are very close friends, and me being my father's son, my cousin wants to invite me to the UK.

Can I use our extended family relationship to get a family-based visa? I have all the papers that prove we're related.

Should I instead apply for a standard visitor visa with my cousin giving me a formal invitation? I plan to initially go for a 15 day trip, then go on a longer visit later. If the first visa doesn't allow multiple entries, can I invalidate (cancel) the visa once I return home and apply for a new, longer visa?

  • Not sure how this qualifies as an extended family member situation? Or what you mean by ‘invalidate your visa’?
    – Traveller
    Dec 8, 2018 at 22:52
  • So, this man is your second cousin. What is his citizenship? And what is yours? Dec 9, 2018 at 2:26
  • Invalidate my Visa means that I'll be having one single entry in my 6months period Visa. (Traveller) Dec 9, 2018 at 3:21
  • Nate Eldredge 1/he's a UK citizen (has an NHS number) 2/I'm Algerian. Dec 9, 2018 at 3:23
  • 1
    "I ignore if going for a standard visitor Visa with a formal invitation would be more incentive vis-à-vis the fluency that the UK border control will provide me with on the "leave to enter"s situations" I'm sorry but I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. It would probably help if you tried to rephrase it using simpler words and grammatical constructions. Dec 9, 2018 at 12:06

1 Answer 1


The EEA family permit is for family members citizens of EEA countries other than the UK (except under limited circumstances that do not apply here). Furthermore, "extended family members" only qualify if they are either dependent on the principal or are members of the principal's household.

You therefore do not qualify for an EEA family permit for two reasons. First, because your cousin is a citizen of the UK rather than another EU or EEA country or Switzerland, and second because you are not close enough to qualify as a family member, and your circumstances do not qualify you as an extended family member. You should get a standard visitor visa for this trip.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .