I am under age 16. The research I did says that if a parent isn't able to come in person to the passport office, then they need to fill out Form DS-3053 and have it notarized. But what if neither parent can come in person? Can I get a copy of that form signed and notarized by each parent and bring them both to the office?

  • 3
    Welcome to travel.stackexchange! – ajd Dec 6 '18 at 2:10

At the US Department of State website for passports, it states that if parents are unable to appear:

A third party may apply for the child's passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians' identification. When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.

In all circumstances, you must be accompanied by one adult, but it doesn't have to be your parents.

  • 1
    It seems amazing that in the 21st century you still need to physically go somewhere to get a passport, but I guess the US will catch up with the rest of the world eventually. – alephzero Dec 6 '18 at 10:05
  • 12
    Are there any countries that give passports without a physical visit? I know that I can renew mine online, but I still have to go to get the nationality card (which allows me to do the online passport thing). – Burhan Khalid Dec 6 '18 at 10:33
  • 1
    I didn't have to visit the passport office in the UK when I got my first one ~15 years ago, and haven't had to since. – patstew Dec 6 '18 at 11:31
  • 3
    @patstew In the US a visit to a passport office isn't required, just a post office or something similar. – axsvl77 Dec 6 '18 at 11:41
  • OK, any office. You do have to get the photo authenticated by someone trustworthy who isn't a family member, e.g. a doctor, though. – patstew Dec 6 '18 at 11:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.