I was denied entry to the UK due to unpaid house sitting (though I was originally let in for 45 days the first time after telling them I was house sitting).

There’s a big ol’ X in my passport now and it’s going to raise lots of questions wherever I go and make house sitting in other countries difficult. I want to house sit in Canada and am thinking of getting an Enhanced Driver’s License or just renewing my passport, which I need to do soon anyhow.

My question is: Besides the UK, what countries will know about my denied entry if there’s no paper proof in front of them? How will this haunt me besides making entry to the UK difficult? How will the US government approach this when I renew?

  • Under the Five Eyes intelligence alliance, your information will be shared electronically between the United States, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Posted as a comment (not an Answer) as I have no information about your 2d and 3d questions. – David Dec 4 '18 at 22:58
  • Some countries (such as the US and UK) consider house sitting as employment which isn't permitted for visitors to do. Others don't care. I'm afraid I don't know offhand which Canada is, but I can say you should always answer the border guard's questions truthfully. – Michael Hampton Dec 4 '18 at 23:20
  • 1
    Can you provide a link for the Five Eyes info on denied entrants? I can't find any info that Five Eyes share info on folks not on watch lists. Where can I find info that says that anyone refused entry is blacklisted? I know CA and US have an info sharing agreement. I don't see anything that states for other non-criminal info that they share. I'd love to read up on that. Thanks! – passporto Dec 5 '18 at 0:38
  • 1
    You’re certainly not blacklisted – Hanky Panky Dec 5 '18 at 2:34
  • 1
    Nobody said it was a blacklist. It's just information sharing. You should expect any of those five countries to ask you about whether you've ever been refused entry, and you will have to explain the situation. This is not a guaranteed refusal of entry anywhere, not even back to the UK. And renewing your passport will not help. – Michael Hampton Dec 5 '18 at 2:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.