I am planning to travel to Taipei on the basis of expired Japan Tourist Visa. I visited Japan 2 years back and have that visa stamp in my passport. That single entry visa is now expired.

My Nationality: Indian with Indian passport

Please confirm if I can visit Taipei (Taiwan) after getting TAC on the basis of my expired Japan single entry visa. Has anyone ever traveled to Taiwan on the basis of their expired US,UK,Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, or South Korean visa.

As per new Visa-Exempt law for certain nationalities as mentioned in following Taiwan immigration website and Travel Authorization Certificate (TAC) website, we can use expired Japan visa to apply for TAC:

a) https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ausyd_en/post/60.html

b) https://niaspeedy.immigration.gov.tw/nia_southeast/languageAction (TAC Application website)

  • I am planning to visit next week. So, please help me in deciding whether I can take this route to visit Taipei/Taiwan. – Classic s Nov 29 '18 at 11:10
  • The exemption you describe only applies to certain nationalities but you haven't listed yours. – user79658 Nov 29 '18 at 12:45
  • I am an Indian with Indian passport. Please help. – Classic s Nov 29 '18 at 13:08

Since your Japanese visa is expired by less than 10 years, you can use it and the TAC to visit Taiwan

Per TIMATIC, the database used by airlines (if check-in staff tries to deny you boarding, point to this):

Visa required, except for Nationals of India with a printed Travel Authorization Certificate for a maximum stay of 14 days. The Travel Authorization Certificate is obtained at https://oa1.immigration.gov.tw/nia_southeast/. They must also have a valid resident or visitor visa (incl. electronic) issued by Australia, Canada, Ireland (Rep.), Japan, Korea (Rep.), New Zealand, USA, United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State. A resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival can still be used for entry. Passengers with a work permit are not eligible.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.