My mother is given a UK tourist visa for 2 years with a duration of stay as 180 days. It is a c type multiple entry visa. Is this 180 days is the total stay she can take or is it duration of stay per visit.

Thanks in advance for your reply.


Maximum 180 days per visit. So in 2 years she can stay for more than 180 days in multiple visits.

All she needs to ensure is that she doesn’t try to live in the U.K. for extended periods just by going out for a few days to come back for next 180.

As long as the visits remain visits she will not have any trouble even if the total number of days in multiple visits exceed 180.

  • I am thinking of making her stay approx 9/12 months with a break at 4.5 months. She is widow Nd 100% dependent on me but not financially. Will that be a problem ? – Gaurav Puri Nov 29 '18 at 7:41
  • 2
    @Gaurav Puri The typical advice is to spend at least the same amount of time in your home country as in the UK. 9 months at a time may flag a concern at Immigration IMHO – Traveller Nov 29 '18 at 7:58
  • Rough rule of thumb - 180 days in, 180 days out. – Michael Harvey Nov 29 '18 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.