My passport was just changed to married name, but IDL sticker is in my maiden name passport... We are booked to travel on the 18th December.
I am currently living in the UK with and Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. It is in my passport with my maiden name. I have applied for British Citizenship and was told by the UK Passport office that I needed to change my Aus passport to my Married name BEFORE they will issue my UK citizenship and passport, otherwise i would have to have them both in my maiden name and would not be able to change it afterwards (why the hell, I don't know, as surely I could then have sent that passport in with a marriage cert and get a new one, but the lady said absolutely not) I also told her I was travelling, and she said to make sure to take my marriage certificate with me and that was fine. So ages ago, i booked the appt in london to go down to get my new passport and the wait was 4 weeks- it just came back. Anyway, while there as he was snipping my passport with the visa, he told me to check with the Home office in the UK as I am travelling at xmas! I have been sitting on hold with the Home office for over 2 hours so far without an answer, but have been googling, only to find that if my name has changed , I must replace my visa with a biometric residence permit if my stay is over 6 mths.
So it seems I cannot just use my old passport with the visa at the border to get back in and show my marriage certificate, as i was told by the British passport customer service lady. It takes 6 MONTHS to get a new visa, or £839 for a fast track one which I cannot afford. I will also have my British passport by then anyway so won't even need one! It seems I am completely stuffed! If i take the risk and try to travel anyway, i don't know what will happen?
I am legally allowed to stay here and did nothing wrong and followed advice and now am in a complete pickle! Adding to that my Dad is old and was just in Hospital with an 80% occlusion in his arteries, and not well at all, so if i cannot leave the country for the next 6 mths because of this, i am in trouble if he goes down hill!
I don't know what I can do? Does anyone know what the deal is? We are going to lose Thousands of pounds on our booked holiday if I cancel.