Just wanted to know if I can legally drive a car in Toronto, Canada on an Australian drivers license?

1 Answer 1


Yes, if you are just visiting and not becoming a resident of Ontario. In addition, depending on your length of visit, you may need an International Drivers' Permit in addition to your Australian licence. From the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

Visiting: less than 3 months

If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months and want to drive while you're here, you can use a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country.

You will also need to:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • have proper insurance coverage for the vehicle you will drive
  • carry an original (or exact) copy of the vehicle ownership permit
  • obey traffic laws, drive safely and avoid collisions when you drive

Visiting: more than 3 months

If you will be visiting from another country for more than 3 months, you will need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your own country.

This is a special licence that allows motorists to drive internationally when accompanied by a valid driver’s licence from their country.

You need to have this permit with you when you arrive in Ontario. You cannot apply for one once you are here.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .