My wife is a Russian national. I am a Norwegian national.

We lived in Sweden for 10 months. During that stay she got a residence card (EEA family member) and a biometric Swedish ID card from the Swedish Tax Authority.

We moved to Norway two months ago. She has applied for a new residence card (EEA family member) from Norway through the Surinder Singh route. She has a letter from the Norwegian police saying she has applied, and a document from the Norwegian Tax Agency (D-number). Norway may take several months to issue her the residence card, but she has the right to stay and work in Norway while waiting for the card.

We are considering a short holiday trip to Poland for four days. My guess is that it should be no problem since it is a flight within Schengen and she is here legally after all. However, I am unsure about some things.

What ID should she use at the gate, etc? I am thinking it might be better to use the Swedish biometric ID card, since a Russian passport without a valid visa may appear to mean she is in Schengen illegally, and cause trouble. I suppose the EU residence card from Sweden may now be void since we already moved from Sweden, although she still has it.

Also, I guess as an EEA family member she has freedom of movement in all of the EU when she travels with me, even on holiday?

We are planning to fly from Torp Airport (TRF) to Gdansk Airport (GDN).

How likely is it that she will be fine on her trip? How can we minimize the risk of any inconveniences?

  • 1
    Note: The id card from the Swedish tax authorities is not a national id card in the sense of the EEA regulations. It is strictly speaking only valid in Sweden and can not be used as a travel document, not even within the Schengen area. Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 10:49
  • 1
    @Revetahw Exactly, only bag drop staff would swipe it, not staff at the gate. SO print your boarding pass at home and don't check any bags, and you'll be fine
    – Crazydre
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 13:21
  • 1
    "they won't be swipe it in any machine": there's a good chance that they will. But do the Swedish authorities know you've moved away? Even if you have, the residence card might still be legally valid. Even if it isn't, it might not have been entered into a database of invalidated documents. If you have time you might consider getting a visa at the Polish consulate.
    – phoog
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 13:23
  • 1
    @phoog At the gate? At what airport do they ever do this? Not in Scandinavia for sure, and not when I flew from Poznan either
    – Crazydre
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 13:24
  • 1
    @phoog Check-in counter yes, hence me telling OP not to check any bags. But never the gate
    – Crazydre
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 13:27

1 Answer 1


Legally speaking she's not allowed outside of Norway without the Norwegian residence card; in practice, for any airline but Ryanair, easyJet and WIZZ, you need no ID at all if not checking bags.

For Ryanair, easyJet or WIZZ, the old Swedish residence permit will be fine in practice if you print the boarding pass at home and don't check any bags

  • EU family members have full freedom of movement when accompanying or joining their EU spouse. On what grounds would she not be allowed to leave Norway? travel.stackexchange.com/questions/168985/…
    – Tim
    Commented Oct 20, 2022 at 10:05
  • @Tim She has to be able to prove it with her residence card
    – Crazydre
    Commented Nov 30, 2022 at 5:33
  • I'm a UK citizen married to an EU national who is working in Norway. I'm awaiting my Norwegian residence permit but there is a long delay. I contacted Norwegian immigration and they confirmed I can come and go as I please. Spouses of EU nationals have the same rights as EU nationals and cannot be turned away unless for very specific security reasons travel.stackexchange.com/a/168997/82375
    – Tim
    Commented Dec 1, 2022 at 16:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .