I hold a temporary residence card in the U.K. and I am a Nigerian citizen. This is NOT a permanent residence card known as indefinite leave to remain but a temporary leave to remain residency permit. I want to travel to Mexico on holiday but I am unsure if I should apply for a visa.

I'm seeing a lot of different information online from different Mexican embassies, and the lack of consistency throughout their different consulate websites is fairly worrying.
I even emailed the Mexican consulate in London and their response was “to avoid inconvenience you should apply for a visa” not answering my question at all.

Has anyone travelled to Mexico with a temporary residence permit?
As far as I’m aware this is a multiple entry U.K. visa that lets us live, work and study in the U.K. but it is known as a residence permit that isn’t stamped in your passport but it is a card on its own.


Timatic is the database used by airlines to check visa requirements.

According to Timatic, for Nigerians visiting Mexico:


Visa required.

Visa Exemptions: Passengers with a permanent residence permit issued by United Kingdom for a maximum stay of 180 days.

There is no mention of temporary residence permits and since you're emphatic that you don't have a permanent residence permit it seems that you will need a visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.