I am married to a Brazilian citizen and I was recently given an RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro or National Alien Registration card). Last year, I visited Brazil with a tourist visa and this time I have the RNE.

Will my RNE be accepted to board a flight to Brazil, or will I be asked for a visa. I checked with local my Brazilian Consulate and they informed me that a visa is not required. Still, I want to confirm the with someone who has already travelled with just the RNE.

  • What is your citizenship?
    – Traveller
    Nov 20 '18 at 13:16

Yes, you can enter Brazil with the RNE and your passport.

Timatic, the system which helps airlines verify passenger documents, states:

Visa required, except for Passengers with an ID card issued to residents of Brazil if stay abroad does not exceed 2 years.

Timatic provides a list of valid ID cards, one of which is:

Cedula de Identidade de Estrangerio [sic]

You will notice that your RNE has this phrase printed on it (though spelled correctly).

  • The spelling error is intentional. This is what "sic" means. It is not to be corrected here unless it has been corrected in Timatic. Dec 17 '18 at 18:01
  • Wow, it's still misspelled in Timatic. As of today all of the information here remains identical. Jan 24 '20 at 4:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.