I am married to a Brazilian citizen and I was recently given an RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro or National Alien Registration card). Last year, I visited Brazil with a tourist visa and this time I have the RNE.

Will my RNE be accepted to board a flight to Brazil, or will I be asked for a visa. I checked with local my Brazilian Consulate and they informed me that a visa is not required. Still, I want to confirm the with someone who has already travelled with just the RNE.

  • What is your citizenship?
    – Traveller
    Nov 20, 2018 at 13:16

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can enter Brazil with the RNE and your passport.

Timatic, the system which helps airlines verify passenger documents, states:

Visa required, except for Passengers with an ID card issued to residents of Brazil if stay abroad does not exceed 2 years.

Timatic provides a list of valid ID cards, one of which is:

Cedula de Identidade de Estrangerio [sic]

You will notice that your RNE has this phrase printed on it (though spelled correctly).

  • The spelling error is intentional. This is what "sic" means. It is not to be corrected here unless it has been corrected in Timatic. Dec 17, 2018 at 18:01
  • Wow, it's still misspelled in Timatic. As of today all of the information here remains identical. Jan 24, 2020 at 4:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .