If a French citizen currently located in mainland China with a Chinese L (tourist) visa goes to Hong Kong for a short period (somewhere between a few hours to a few weeks) and comes back to mainland China, does that count as a new entry on a Chinese L (tourist) visa?

The question Would China to Taiwan and back again count as another entry into China? only addresses the case of Taiwan, which might differ from Hong Kong, since the latter is a special administrative regions (SAR). For example, Wikipedia gives some interesting differences between Taiwan and the SARs (= currently Hong Kong and Macau) in terms of entry procedures.

  • 1
    Yes, it does, since you're leaving the mainland China customs area. See answer above. – lambshaanxy Nov 12 '18 at 21:12
  • @jpatokal Thanks, since Hong Kong is a special administrative regions (SARs), unlike Taiwan, I was hoping that the rules would be different. It might be worth keeping the two questions separate though in case special entry counting rules are introduced for SARs. Or we could broaden the other question to Taiwan + SARs. – Franck Dernoncourt Nov 12 '18 at 21:18
  • I'd be open to another answer here, particularly if somebody can find better references. – lambshaanxy Nov 12 '18 at 21:36