Ok, If you renounce your US citizenship and are stateless, can you work? Can you register for residency? Everything I have read or watched, seems to just brush over a lot of the details. I am really looking for a step by step answer. Can anyone help me with this?


closed as off-topic by Cannon Fodder, Michael Hampton, Giorgio, Aganju, MadHatter Nov 11 at 5:11

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's not about travel as defined in help center. – Cannon Fodder Nov 11 at 0:34
  • What I have found out is, you can renounce your US citizenship in another country, but then they take your passport. So how do you travel and can you work? Are you allowed to file for residency? – katra4813 Nov 11 at 0:43
  • You might try our sister site Expatriates but I suspect they will consider this question too broad. In the meantime I suggest you do a search for Mike Gogulski. – Michael Hampton Nov 11 at 0:52
  • 3
    It depends on the country. There are people who arrive in Europe with no documents, and end up getting residency (or the equivalent). There are plenty of countries where they don't care so much about documents. International travel without a passport is not cheap/easy. This should bo expat SE, I think, and you should narrow it down a bit. – Tomas By Nov 11 at 0:54
  • 1
    I notice now you have tagged it Scotland, so this might be relevant. – Tomas By Nov 11 at 1:32