I've been working remotely for this Japanese company for 5 years now. I get paid more than enough to afford living in the US. I've always wanted to move there. Is it possible to get a visa like that without finding a job in the US first? I'm a Polish (EU) citizen.

closed as off-topic by fkraiem, user79658, Giorgio, Michael Hampton, phoog Nov 11 '18 at 3:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Questions about long term immigration, visas and work permits belong on Expatriates. – user79658 Nov 10 '18 at 23:27

You need either:

  1. Family ties
  2. A qualifying job offer,
  3. Sufficient skills to qualify for a National Interest Waiver
  4. Invest a million USD in a qualified commercial enterprise (or USD 500 000 in a high-unemployment area or rural area)
  5. Participate and be selected the Diversity lottery.

Then you follow the process for getting an immigrant visa, and you must enter the US within 6 months of the visa being issued.

THen, you must maintain the US as your main home, and cannot be out of the country for more than a year at once without advance permission.

  • 2
    A job offer by itself is not sufficient. It must be a job offer for position that qualifies for an employment-based visa from a company that will file a sponsorship application. Many of those employment visas are nonimmigrant visas but formally recognized as "dual intent," meaning that the employer can subsequently sponsor the employee for permanent resident status. – phoog Nov 11 '18 at 3:08
  • @phoog Edited.. – Crazydre Nov 11 '18 at 3:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.