I have read several threads regarding type D visas but that doesn't seem to answer my seemingly specific question.

I am working in the Philippines for an international company and I have been granted a 1 year, multiple entry German Type D Visa with working permit valid until Feb 10, 2019 to perform work with one of our clients.

I have already been in Germany, finished my assignment for the time being and now I am back to the Philippines. Therefore I used the visa it was intended for the first time.

Currently I've been invited by my close friends to visit them (social visit) in Norway from Dec 15, 2018 to Feb 1, 2019. It means that I'm planning to travel to Norway while my German Type D Visa is still valid. I am willing to apply for a Norwegian Short Stay Visa however it might be all for naught as I still have a valid Type D visa.

I would like to know your inputs if it's possible to travel to Norway (Schengen area) with probable point of entry via Amsterdam. using a valid, multiple entry German Type D visa without applying for a Norwegian Short Stay Visa? if so, what kind of critical supplemental documents I might need?

I'm quite afraid that I might miss some technicalities and might cause some issues in the border control.

Additional to that, is the 90/180 still counts at this point? previous threads mentioned this quite a lot but I read [REGULATION (EU) 2016/399]

Article 6 Entry conditions for third-country nationals

  1. For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following: (a) they are in possession of a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border satisfying the following criteria: (i) its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States. In a justified case of emergency, this obligation may be waived; (ii) it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years; (b) they are in possession of a valid visa, if required pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 (1), except where they hold a valid residence permit or a valid long-stay visa;

  2. For the purposes of implementing paragraph 1, the date of entry shall be considered as the first day of stay on the territory of the Member States and the date of exit shall be considered as the last day of stay on the territory of the Member States. Periods of stay authorised under a residence permit or a long-stay visa shall not be taken into account in the calculation of the duration of stay on the territory of the Member States.

Help or inputs regarding this matter are appreciated. Also I attached my visa details for referrence

Visa and work permit image for reference

  • 1
    @Giorgio the other question appears not to concern a type-D visa. – phoog Nov 9 '18 at 23:06
  • 1
    John, are you eligible for visa-free travel as a short-term visitor? – phoog Nov 9 '18 at 23:06
  • @phoog no, I need visa as a short-term visitor. I'm asking for future reference if ever I apply for Short-Stay Visa – John Nov 10 '18 at 8:07