Next month I am going on holiday to Germany. I am a Portuguese citizen who lives in the UK and I am travelling with my Portuguese passport. However, my sister's passport has expired and she has only her Portuguese national ID card (cartão de cidadão). Would she be able to leave the UK and travel to Germany with her national ID card, or would she need her Portuguese passport?


Yes, this is fine.

An EU ID card is valid for entry into any EU member state - Wikipedia specifically states that the Cartao de Cidadao is a "valid travel document within all of Europe".

The only disadvantage of using an ID card is that you may not be able to use the e-Passport gates, so you may have to wait longer at passport control (this is definitely the case in the UK).

  • 1
    As for the UK, yes but we don't know about this will still be the case after 29th March 2019 - aka Brexit. – Adwaenyth Nov 9 '18 at 14:20
  • 1
    Also usable (I think) between Schengen countries that are not EU? – WGroleau Apr 17 '20 at 18:05
  • @WGroleau Indeed. Technically, it's possible in all countries covered by the EU freedom of movement. This does include all non-EU Schengen countries but one difference is that it was already true in Switzerland even before they joined the Schengen area. – Relaxed Apr 17 '20 at 21:33
  • @WGroleau As well as in the CEFTA states, Tunisia, Turkey and Georgia (Covid-19 restrictions notwithstanding). – Crazydre Apr 17 '20 at 22:09
  • @Crazydre I don't think that's generally the case in Turkey, it only applies to some EU citizens, not all EU/EEA/Swiss citizens whose country issues national ID card. Egypt also has similar rules. But all these are based on unilateral decisions and are fundamentally different. – Relaxed Apr 18 '20 at 0:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.