I have a Hungarian Resident Permit. I'm planning to re-enter the EU (from Asia) via Italy, since the ticket is cheaper than flying to Budapest. I will spend a few days in Rome and then fly to Budapest.

Is this possible? does anyone have any experience entering the EU from outside of it via a country other than your resident permit issued country?


There is a difference between the EU and the Schengen area. Both Hungary and Italy are Schengen members.

With a residence permit from one Schengen member you can enter the other Schengen states as if you had a short-stay visa, that is you can stay up to 90 out of 180 days, you cannot work there, etc.

  • Thank you for your reply. Yes, I should have worded it entering Schengen zone. I checked in other places and some people have mentioned it's possible too. My only concern is since, I'm coming from outside of the schengen zone, or I know it's quite straight forward to travel around the schengen zone. Thanks again! – Ran Rodrigo Nov 3 '18 at 7:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.