I have been granted a skilled worker permit in Norway. I got an entry visa (type D visa) to enter Norway. It is a single entry one. Is it possible for me to travel to other Schengen countries (i.e. Switzerland) before getting the residence permit card?

  • YOur visa is fine for travel to other Schengen countries; the long answer is wrong
    – Crazydre
    Oct 25 '18 at 3:32

Yes, as long as the D-visa is valid, you can travel to other Schengen countries.

Since it is a single entry visa, you are however not allowed to leave and reenter the Schengen are, but must stay within.

  • 1
    @Sahan To clarify, it means you cannot leave Schengen until getting your residence permit card
    – Crazydre
    Oct 25 '18 at 3:07

Only if your visa is really a schengen visa ( not national level ) AND it is schengen USV ( Uniform Schengen Visa ) and not LTV ( Limited territorial validity ).

You should be able to check on your visa if there are any restrictions specifically written on it and what type it is .

If the valid for' field says something likeetats schengen(french ) orschengen states(english) orschengenstaten` (german) or any otheer language variant and nothing else then it should be a USV. the

If the field has something like a state name, or state code, or multiple entries ( for example D-EE-P, or -ES or D-P-F-I-LT ) or any other remark / restriction - you should check the individual exception .

  • Thank you very much for the answer. Nothing is specifically written on my visa. How can I know whether it is USV or LTV?
    – Sahan
    Oct 25 '18 at 2:36
  • If no special restriction or allowance in the valid for field or other remarks ( for example the likes of valid only for Country X or not valid for country Y ). also see my edit. Oct 25 '18 at 2:58
  • @ObmerkKronen This answer is incorrect. D visas nowadays only list the state it was issued by, but are valid for Schengen-wide travel
    – Crazydre
    Oct 25 '18 at 3:09
  • 2
    D visas are always valid for the entire Schengen area. Only C visas can be issued with a limited territorial validity (LTV). Oct 25 '18 at 8:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.