Hey so I am Australian and am staying with a friend in London when I arrive for a 1 week holiday. Do I need any document for customs proving I have accommodation? Or do they even ask this question?

Only because when I came to Spain for the same reason, staying with a friend. They told me I had to have proof of Accommodation. Even if I was only here for 2 weeks.

  • You're from Australia. They are very unlikely to ask for proof. You can let your friend scrawl something on a piece of paper to that effect and email to you. Or just have the friends phone handy. Oct 15, 2018 at 19:43
  • You haven't said where you actually live, but if you live in Australia then they might be suspicious about a trip halfway around the world for only a week. Their reaction to that depends how you present yourself I suspect. Oct 15, 2018 at 20:17

1 Answer 1


If you check out the Visitor entry requirements here https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y you get advice to bring the same documents with you that you’d use to apply for a visa, to show to officers at Immigration. It would be a good idea to have some evidence of where you’ll stay in case you are asked eg an email invite from your friend, with their address and contact number.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.