I am an Indian citizen and my passport will expire in 2021. I am planning on moving to US for my Masters in 2019, for my VISA application will I face any problems as my passport will expire before i complete my MS which is a two year program. Most of my other colleagues have received a 5 year VISA, will i be able to receive the same.


There's no need to renew your passport early, nor do you need to apply to transfer your visa to a new passport. You can travel using a valid visa in an expired passport as long as you carry both old and new passports.


An afterthought: this applies specifically to US visas. Visas for other countries may need different treatment.

  • Thanks Just one more thing will I still get a student visa for 5 years for US – Shirley Dsouza Oct 14 '18 at 10:07
  • I don't know for sure but I'd guess not since "Foreign students in the United States with F visas must depart the United States within 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20" (Source). You're on a two year program, which implies leaving shortly after the two years is up. – user79658 Oct 14 '18 at 10:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.