I previously overstayed as a visitor in the UK for 2 years and 7 months. I returned to my home country voluntarily at my own expense. i stayed out of the UK for 1 year and 11 months. i dont have an overstayer stamp on my passport. i applied for university in the UK and got accepted. There isnt a question about overstaying on a visa application so do i state the overstay on my own or answer only what is asked?

  • Does the application ask about the dates and length of previous visits? See travel.stackexchange.com/questions/59164/… – Traveller Oct 10 '18 at 14:37
  • 2
    The UKVI records have your immigration history which may affect the consideration of any subsequent visa application. – Giorgio Oct 10 '18 at 15:00
  • 1
    @Kmary The UK has collected exit data on all passengers since 2015 so they will certainly know about your overstay even if the application doesn’t specifically require you to disclose it. This example Tier 4 application guide from LSE indicates that previous U.K. travel history is requested (see page 14) info.lse.ac.uk/current-students/immigration-advice/assets/… – Traveller Oct 10 '18 at 15:03
  • 3
    @Kmary your family in the UK are more likely to hinder your application than to help it, because the officer considering the application will see your relatives as potential reason for you to overstay in the UK. – phoog Oct 10 '18 at 16:44
  • 2
    Your chances are very very very very slim. Returning barely two years after overstaying. If you were a visa officer, would you reasonably give such a person a visa? You know the answer yourself. – user 56513 Oct 10 '18 at 22:58

You only need to answer what is asked but student visas are heavily scrutinized and the likelihood of you receiving one after overstaying is minimal.

I hope you didn’t spend a lot of money on the school’s application fee or send them a deposit.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.