I am planning to visit Canada for about a week from US. I am in US for about 1.5 months with B1-B2 Visa. I have applied for Canada visa in visit (6 month or less) category.

My friend, who is permanent resident of Canada, has invited me, stating - I am his friend, and provide accommodation, food, travel inside Canada. We used to work together few years ago in our home country. I have already uploaded the invitation letter. But It the submission website requires proof of relationship.

What document can I submit as proof of relationship with my friend?

Edit: Screenshot of the online form that asks for proof of relationship enter image description here

When I click the ? mark near it, following information appears

You must provide proof of your relationship with your host or family member. This can include:

a marriage certificate
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409)
a birth certificate
an official document naming you as a parent
a copy of the inside back cover of the inviter's passport showing the inviter's parents, if applicable

  • 1
    When and how did you meet your friend? Do you have evidence of communication between you eg emails, SMS etc? – Traveller Oct 3 '18 at 10:07
  • We used to work together few years ago. After that he went to Canada. I have updated question also. Please see. – Prabhu Oct 3 '18 at 11:10
  • Are you sure they have asked for mandatory documentary evidence over and above the invitation letter from your friend? cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=421&top=16 – Traveller Oct 3 '18 at 14:09
  • I have added a screenshot of the form asking for proof of relationship. – Prabhu Oct 3 '18 at 15:43
  • 1
    My guess would be that you should have chosen a different purpose of travel earlier in the form. This part of the form really doesn't seem to apply to your circumstance. That said, Canada's immigration and visa processes are the most confusing I have ever seen from any country. – Michael Hampton Oct 3 '18 at 16:36

protected by Community Mar 16 at 10:57

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.