I am an international student from San Francisco who is travelling to Belgium to attend a conference. I have an interview scheduled with the Belgian consulate tomorrow in Los Angeles. On my return flight, I won't have any government-issued identification, as I will have to submit my passport for visa processing, and I don't have a government issued driving license.

What form of alternate identification can I produce for airport security so that they can let me through?

  • 1
    I would say bring everything you have with you, especially any bank cards you might have and any non-government identification such as your university ID. I would also tell the TSA in San Francisco that you're planning to leave your passport in LA for a visa application and you'll be returning without it. It might not help, but it might. Expect to be subjected to extra screening measures on your return; see tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.
    – phoog
    Oct 1 '18 at 21:11
  • 1
    @zaph why would that matter?
    – phoog
    Oct 2 '18 at 0:04
  • If he is a US citizen there are several ways to get an official ID. Also one can get an additional passport so one can travel while their passport is unavailable due to obtaining a visa.
    – zaph
    Oct 2 '18 at 0:22
  • @zaph if OP were a US citizen it would not be necessary to get a visa to attend a conference in Belgium (and it would be unlikely for a US citizen in San Francisco to call him or herself an "international student"). The second passport idea is a good one, and many other countries offer that option.
    – phoog
    Oct 2 '18 at 1:12