I moved out of EU with valid drivers license (issued in EU member state - Denmark ) to another non EU country, is it still possible to drive with that drivers license back in EU (Hungary, Austria, Germany, etc.) as tourist ? I live in country which has lot of people living and working in EU, traffic police here is mostly concerned that locals drive say - car with German plates, and I never bothered to change my drivers license :) What is my legal position if I drive my car with that aforementioned drivers license in EU?

Best regards,

  • 1
    The law controlling this will depend on which country you're driving in and on which country issued your license. Can you specify?
    – phoog
    Sep 24, 2018 at 16:42
  • My license is issued in Denmark, driving area will be - say, Hungary, Austria, Germany.
    – J. Doe
    Sep 24, 2018 at 17:12
  • Edit that into your question please; questions should contain all relevant info, because comments can disappear
    – user40521
    Sep 24, 2018 at 17:47
  • @J.Doe This seems to indicate that you can drive elsewhere in the EU, providing your licence remains valid europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/…
    – Traveller
    Sep 25, 2018 at 7:33
  • Thank you, I had same conclusion, but, it is better to ask in order to clear any doubt :-)
    – J. Doe
    Sep 25, 2018 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can keep driving with your driving license after you leave your country of residence, assuming that the country where you want to drive recognizes the license.

All EU countries recognize all EU licenses so you are good there.

More information and confirmation of the rules on this site.

If your driving licence is issued by an EU country, it's recognised throughout the EU.

Emphasis on the site.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .