I have an Indian passport.

Do I need to file a first information report (FIR) at the police station if my passport is only damaged (not stolen)?

Only the outer cover has been a little bit detached, but all pages and the photo are intact, so I think it comes under category (1) of damaged passports.

The passport website considers damaged and lost passports in a single category, so I am confused.

Any proper response is really appreciated.

  • 1
    For those of us who are unfamiliar with Indian bureaucracy, can you explain what FIR is? – phoog Sep 21 '18 at 15:22
  • 1
    FIR is the First information report, It's the requirement by Ministry of external affairs and they need this report to be filed in the nearest police station. The applicant has to attach the FIR while applying for the new passport in case of lost passport. – Arpit Bajpai Sep 21 '18 at 15:48

No, You don't need to file an FIR in case of damaged passport. You will just have to apply for the new passport(reissue) and attach your old passport with the application.

The Indian Government website clearly states:

In case your passport has not been damaged beyond recognition, i.e. passport number is legible, name is legible and photo is intact, then you can apply for re-issue of passport under the Tatkaal scheme. But, if passport has been damaged beyond recognition, then you cannot apply under the Tatkaal scheme. In that case, you need to visit Passport Officer at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra to get the passport on urgent basis.

The FIR is only required for the lost passports.

Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Passport Office (PO) or Indian Mission, if abroad.

  • Can you link to sources for the quotes? That will add some credibility to this answer. – phoog Sep 21 '18 at 16:00
  • 2
    @ArpitBajpai I've edited your answer to include the government website link. Sometimes comments get deleted so it's always good to put the information in the question or answer too! – mkennedy Sep 21 '18 at 17:03
  • Thanks for answer, I have got new passport, without being need to apply for FIR. – Vijeth PO Jan 3 at 11:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.