Are UK Government strict towards researcher whose sole purpose of visit is for tourism?

  • Hi welcome to travel.SE! Is that a hypothetical question, or have you actually received a refusal? I assumed the former and edited the question accordingly. – B.Liu Sep 20 '18 at 11:03
  • Im going to apply soon, not for business visa but for standard visitor visa (tourism) – Mike Sep 20 '18 at 11:05
  • 2
    @Mike Why do you think being a researcher might be a problem? Can you prove your employment and income? I don’t recall seeing any questions on TSE where the type of job was a reason for refusal (although there are plenty where being unemployed, not being able to prove income etc resulted in a refusal). There’s nothing about job type restrictions in assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/… – Traveller Sep 20 '18 at 11:59
  • 1
    Yes. You have no other option. There is no researcher tourism visa. – Hanky Panky Sep 20 '18 at 12:30
  • 1
    @HankyPanky It could conceivably matter a little bit in a really loose sense. If your job is one which you can "take with you", or do remotely, then it's a little bit less of a proof of ties to your home country. However, that shouldn't matter if the rest of the application isn't unusual. – origimbo Sep 20 '18 at 13:53

Under ‘Business - General Activities’, gathering information for a visitor’s employment overseas is a permitted activity (see App3, 5A https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-v-visitor-rules)

| improve this answer | |
  • @DJClayworth Yes I know, but the original question was different. It’s been edited since I answered – Traveller Sep 20 '18 at 16:04
  • 1
    Sorry. Didn't check that. – DJClayworth Sep 20 '18 at 16:11

If you are going to the UK only for tourism, and not intending to do anything work-related in the UK, then it does not matter what your job is.

The job you have might affect your chances of getting a visa. If your job is much higher paid in the UK than in your country there might be a suspicion that you were trying to relocate illegally to the UK. If your job is low-level, or temporary, or easy to transition out of, then it is not considered as much of a tie to your home country as a well-paid long-term in-demand job. If your job is one where a visit to the UK would often be a part of your work, you might have to provide extra evidence to show that you will not be working.

The job title of 'researcher' is far too vague for us to comment upon whether that applies to you.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.