This question already has an answer here:

I just recently bought tickets to travel from Mexicali to Guadalajara. However, I am a US Citizen and I live in the US. I am just crossing the border by foot, and catching a flight in Mexico to go to GDL (since they're why cheaper in Mexico) However, do I need some type of Mexican paperwork indicating I am traveling within Mexico? Or can I just use my American Identification to board the flight?

marked as duplicate by Nate Eldredge, Traveller, Giorgio, gmauch, David Richerby Sep 12 '18 at 13:36

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • As I understand it, at the time you cross the border by foot, you need to specifically apply for an FMM using your US passport (a regular passport, not a passport card). This is required by Mexican law although it may not always be checked. – krubo Sep 12 '18 at 15:09