I have a US passport that lists my current state as my birth state (Virginia instead of California). I am travelling to England next week and do not have time to get it corrected. Will this be an issue?

  • 4
    Was your application in error, or did the passport get issued incorrectly despite a correct application? Aug 28 '18 at 15:02
  • @JimMacKenzie Would that make a difference in the OP's case? Personally, I was once sent a passport with an error despite a correct application, and in my case, I had enough time to get it corrected, at no cost to me, before my travels.
    – shoover
    Aug 28 '18 at 18:20
  • 1
    My application was correct, the passport was issued incorrectly.
    – Fred
    Aug 28 '18 at 18:20
  • 2
    @shoover I don't know that it would have a practical effect, but I'd be more worried about correcting an error that I made than an error that they made. Aug 28 '18 at 18:22

Nobody in England will care where exactly you were born - you are a US citizen, that is the only relevant data for them. If you don't bring it up yourself, they have no way to even realize it.

You should however care to get it corrected soon, otherwise it might hunt you in the future in the US.

  • Thanks. I intend to get it corrected once I return from my trip.
    – Fred
    Aug 28 '18 at 18:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.