I am from Azerbaijan (non-EU country) and work in Estonia. I am holding a resident permit from Estonia (Schengen resident permit). I am wondering which countries (except the ones my passport lets me) a resident permit from the EU and my passport let me travel outside of Europe.

I know which you can go to with a Schengen visa and with my passport. I am wondering if it is the same list for the resident permit as well. Or for the Schengen resident permit, are there more countries which we can travel to without a visa?

  • Your resident permit allows you to travel to the other countries in the Schengen Area. For all other countries you may need a visa. I think that you will need a visa for the most if not all the countries that allow schengen visa holders to travel without an additional visa. – Dirty-flow Aug 21 '18 at 12:01
  • @Dirty-flow It seems that you missed a word or two. Your last sentence makes no sence and contradicts itself. – Neusser Aug 21 '18 at 12:05
  • @Neusser what I mean is that countries like Bulgaria allows Schengen visa holders to entry and stay for a short period, but they don't allow it for Schengen resident permit holders – Dirty-flow Aug 21 '18 at 12:08
  • @Dirty-flow, in the case of Bulgaria, Azerbaijani passport holders can't go there without visa. However, schengen visa holders and resident permit holders can go there without visa – Etibar Hasanov Aug 21 '18 at 13:24
  • @EtibarHasanov do you have a source to confirm that you can enter Bulgaria on a Schengen resident permit? – Dirty-flow Aug 21 '18 at 13:45

There are some countries apart from the Schengen countries that would allow you visa-free entry if you hold a valid visa or residence permit issued by the Schengen state (in your case Estonia). These rules also depend on your nationality. Ex: Azerbaijani nationals can go to the Dominican Republic if they hold the visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.

You can find the complete list of countries here:


This list keeps on changing, therefore, it is recommended that you contact the respective consulate before making your travel plans.

  • I am familiar with wiki page. However, it doesn't answer my question about "outside of Europe". And wiki page doesn't say anything about resident permit holder. I have the resident permit, not a visa. From where did you find out that Azerbaijani nationals can go Cuba with residence permit issued by a Schengen state. – Etibar Hasanov Aug 21 '18 at 13:28
  • > > It doesn't answer my question about "outside of Europe" >> UK, Georgia, Belarus etc are also in Europe but you cannot go to these countries with your RP or Visa, Do you mean Schengen? – Arpit Bajpai Aug 21 '18 at 13:30
  • Sorry, Cuba was added by mistake there but the Dominican Republic is not in Schengen area and unfortunately, that is that only country(outside Schengen) I can find where you can go with your RP – Arpit Bajpai Aug 21 '18 at 13:33
  • >>and wiki page doesn't say anything about resident permit holder>> In that case Azerbaijani nationals do indeed need a visa for the other countries except Domincan Republic (even after having the Residence Permit issued by the Schengen state) I can show you the list for some other countries where the RP is a bit more useful. – Arpit Bajpai Aug 21 '18 at 13:36
  • 1
    @ Arpit Bajpai, I am looking for countries oustide of Europae which I can travel with resident permit. Not interested in Europae at all. About Dominican and Mexico and other countries from the list I provided it says " a valid visa issued by a Schengen Member State" . However, I amn't holding Schengen visa, it is a resident permit provided by member state. Do they have the same power? – Etibar Hasanov Aug 21 '18 at 13:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.