I am a Canadian citizen who has been doing work trade on a farm on Hawaii for 4.5 months come mid Oct. when I plan to return to Canada. I have also spent one month traveling in USA in Jan. of this year. Will I be able legally to return for another 4 mnths in Jan. 2019/how does the 6 month limit work?

  • 2
    Do you have a work permit for the work you're doing now? Will you be doing work again when you go back? There are two issues here, how long you're allowed to stay and whether you will be considered a US resident for tax purposes. – Jim MacKenzie Aug 17 '18 at 22:55
  • 5
    The "work trade" you're doing is almost certainly legally considered "work" for immigration and legal purposes, because that's what it is. Did you get a J-1 or H-2A visa for this? – Zach Lipton Aug 17 '18 at 22:59
  • Edited the post pls re answer – Samdunk Aug 18 '18 at 7:44
  • 3
    @Samdunk You edited the post, but that doesn't change that you've been working. It's not a value judgement—I don't care about that—, but it does impact the answer you're going to get. Spending months working in the US as a visitor, leaving, then coming back to do it again is the kind of thing immigration officers are trained to spot and stop. They're going to want to know what you've been doing and how you're supporting yourself. And an honest answer to that question is likely to get you denied entry to the US. – Zach Lipton Aug 18 '18 at 7:50
  • 2
    @phoog Obviously, we can attempt to answer any question that is asked. But that answer will not be useful to the asker if the question isn't actually about their situation. In particular, if the asker edits their question so that it misrepresents their situation, then the advice given to them is likely to be inappropriate and could cause them a lot of problems. Now, sure, it's their fault for misrepresenting themself but answering misleading questions is a waste of our time that could instead have been used to actually help somebody. – David Richerby Aug 18 '18 at 10:36