Can I apply for NEXUS if my green card is expired but my case (through marriage) is pending and I have an extension that allows me to work and travel in/out the USA until the end of 2018?

  • 1
    What case is pending? Is it the removal of the conditions of conditional permanent residence?
    – phoog
    Aug 16, 2018 at 16:20
  • yes, I-751. And what if my case would be denied eventually (after I get my Nexus), will I still be able to travel to Canada using NEXUS?
    – Sabi G
    Aug 16, 2018 at 16:40
  • 1
    Since you would have qualified for NEXUS as a permanent resident, I expect that the loss of permanent resident status would invalidate your NEXUS membership.
    – phoog
    Aug 16, 2018 at 17:01
  • 1
    @phoog Indeed, (s)he'd have to disclose this to a NEXUS enrolment centre and would likely have NEXUS cancelled. Aug 16, 2018 at 17:19

1 Answer 1


According to this US government website, you need to be a lawful permanent resident of Canada or the U.S. (or a citizen of either country; or of Mexico, if you participate in Mexico's trusted traveler program), so your eligibility for NEXUS is going to hinge on whether, at this time, you are a permanent resident or not. My understanding is that it is merely your evidence of permanent residence that has expired, not your permanent resident status itself.

If indeed you are legally a permanent resident now, apply. If not, wait until you are.

In case you aren't a permanent resident, if you happen to be a Mexican citizen and want to fast-track this, join the Mexican trusted traveler program and then you will qualify for NEXUS irrespective of your residency status in the U.S.

  • I am still a permanent resident even though my case is pending now, but I've been traveling from US to Canada three times already with no problems.
    – Sabi G
    Aug 16, 2018 at 16:44
  • @SabiG It sounds like you should qualify then. Aug 16, 2018 at 16:44
  • Technically permanent residency does not expire although the card does expire. The card is merely evidence of your permanent residency, just like a passport is evidence of citizenship. In his case he is a Conditioinal Permanent Resident and since he filed to extend his status before it expired, he remains a Permanent Resident. You can modify your answer accordingly. Aug 16, 2018 at 17:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.