I have imported a 125cc motorcycle from France to the UK, and registered and insured it there.

I have a French 125cc licence ("permis A1"), which is a car driving licence ("permis B") + a one-day motorcycling training.

Am I allowed to drive it in the UK with this license only? Or do I need to get another one?

  • Is this a full licence for your motorcycle? That is, could you lawfully drive that bike, in France, on your current licence, indefinitely?
    – MadHatter
    Aug 15 '18 at 16:23
  • In France I can drive with it forever, yes
    – MarinD
    Aug 15 '18 at 16:26
  • Since you say you've imported the bike, this question might strictly belong on the sister site expatriates.stackexchange.com . If you want it migrated, you can click on the flag icon and write a custom message to the moderators. Aug 17 '18 at 6:58
  • I do not feel this is an expat question, it is a 'can I travel with this vehicle and these licenses' question.
    – Willeke
    Aug 17 '18 at 10:49
  • Note that you might need to switch the headlight to prevent blinding of other drivers. Aug 19 '18 at 5:27

I think the answer is Yes. All EU member states use standardised driving licences, at least for the categories with capital letters.

The UK restrictions on an A1 licence are

  • You can drive light motorbikes with:
    • an engine size up to 125cc
    • a power output of up to 11kW
    • a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg
  • This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

If your moving to the UK, then you'll need to insure and register at a UK address. (Registering is different in Northern Ireland, to the rest of the UK). If it is over 3 years old, you will also need to put it through an annual test, the MOT.

You will not need to take a UK test, at least until Brexit.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.