I am traveling to Japan and I want to know if these old 100 USD bills are accepted there for currency exchange.

100 USD bills

  • 2
    Where are you now? You can exchange these at any bank in the USA. Aug 14, 2018 at 23:15
  • 2
    I am in UAE right now and I am going to japan next week
    – john
    Aug 14, 2018 at 23:51
  • 1
    I will defer to others, but I have not yet heard of a problem with any of the large-portrait bills, even these that lack new anti-counterfeiting measures. The old small-portrait bills are very hard to use outside the USA, and even there, exchanging at a bank is probably the only thing to do. Aug 15, 2018 at 0:32
  • 1
    Possible duplicate of Converting Older United States Dollar Bills
    – Giorgio
    Aug 17, 2018 at 14:09
  • 1
    @Giorgio This is not a duplicate. The asker wants to know if those dollar bills will be accepted as a specific destination, not how someone can convert old dollar bills. Aug 17, 2018 at 17:32

1 Answer 1


The Series 2006A $100 US note is still is circulation and should be accepted by any service or institution that offers foreign money exchange.

Each Japanese international airport has foreign currency exchange services, as do many large hotels. Major banks exchange foreign currency and many have branches in airports and train stations, with the following as just a few of the many available:

  • is there a way of telling by looking at a note what series they are? Furthermore is there a government website where it states which series are still legal tender and time frame they will be still legal tender?
    – 3kstc
    Sep 18, 2019 at 3:13
  • @3kstc I didn't look in detail, but uscurrency.gov/… might be a starting point.
    – JakeDot
    Jan 27 at 22:22
  • 1
    @3kstc There’s no need for a website — all US treasury notes ever issued are still legal tender. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that a foreign bureau de change will accept them.
    – Mike Scott
    Jan 28 at 7:55
  • 1
    @3kstc: the series is printed between the portrait and one of the signature blocks at the bottom of the face, thus to left or right of the bottom of the portrait. The ones shown here are to the left and say 'SERIES 2006 A' and 'SERIES 2003'. Except for $1 and $2 the series is also indicated by the first letter in the serial (before the letter indicating the FRB region), see bep.gov/currency/serial-numbers Jan 30 at 4:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .