I am a Lithuanian citizen, my husband is from Colombia and we both live in Norway. He has a residence permit to live in Norway. Written on it is that he is the spouse of [my name]. We want to travel to the UK and on the next day fly to Colombia. Does he need a visa to enter the UK?

  • Maybe not - only the embassy can give you a more definite answer. Here is some text from the EU - europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/…
    – DetlevCM
    Aug 12, 2018 at 18:25
  • 2
    @DetlevCM That's not true. British consulates will generally not answer visa questions. And this question can certainly be answered definitively by people on this site.
    – MJeffryes
    Aug 12, 2018 at 18:33
  • 4
  • 1
    Per the question I've linked, as the holder of a "common format residence permit", your husband will be eligible for transit without visa.
    – MJeffryes
    Aug 12, 2018 at 18:36
  • 2
    @DetlevCM No it isn’t. UK embassies will not give any visa information, other than maybe giving you a UK Visas & Immigration web address. Furthermore, you won’t get any personalised information from UKVI. You are expected to interpret their web pages yourself.
    – MJeffryes
    Aug 12, 2018 at 19:01

2 Answers 2


Does he need a visa to enter the UK?

Probably not. It depends on whether your husband's card says 'Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen,' or the equivalent in another language, which it probably does, or if it otherwise indicates that it is issued under article 10 or article 20 of the free movement directive. In this case, he qualifies to enter as the holder of an Article 10 card, without a visa, if he travels with you (as the question indicates is your plan):

If you are a non-EEA national who holds a valid genuine residence card, issued to you as the family member of an EEA national who is exercising free movement rights in another EEA State (i.e. not your EEA relative’s Member State of nationality) under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC (the ‘Free Movement Directive’), you may use this document for travel to the UK if you are accompanying your EEA national relative here, or joining your EEA national relative in the UK.


According to this website https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y your spouse will need a visa

  • In addition to being short on analysis, this answer reaches the wrong conclusion.
    – phoog
    Aug 19, 2018 at 13:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .