I am an Indian citizen with US Permanent Residency.

I am planning to visit Romania soon just for spending a vacation, however I came to know that Indian citizens need an invitation letter for Romanian tourist visa.

I heard in some places that it is not a strict requirement. Also I came to know that persons who belong to the countries that need the invitation letter, if they are permanent residents of Canada, the requirement is waived.

I do not need a travel agency for the tour, I was planning to do it alone. Could anyone comment on:

i. Is it absolutely necessary to have the invitation letter?

ii. Is the requirement waived for a US permanent resident?

iii. Is it possible to get a travel package for one day from a travel agency and get an invitation letter?

I am going for 7 days, that way I don't have to have buy package for all 7 days.

Thank you very much in advance!



The invitation exemption applies not only to permanent residents in Canada, but to those other countries, including the United States:

Getting a visa on the basis of an invitation approved by the General Inspectorate for Immigration – Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs

Moreover, short-stay visas can be granted with the exemption from the IGI-MAI invitation procedure to the following categories of third-country nationals

-- nationals who hold a valid residence permit in states whose citizens are not required an entry visa to the Member States of the European Union or the European Economic Area, or to the Schengen Area Member States;

  • 1
    Thanks Giorgio. The embassy confirmed the same as well. – ArghaB Sep 2 '18 at 17:31
  • @ArghaB excellent; you can 'accept' the answer by selecting the tick mark. – Giorgio Sep 2 '18 at 17:49

protected by Community Aug 26 at 15:36

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.