I have planned to make a road trip to USA. I travel in a car with license plates and Mexican license but I would like to buy a pop-up trailer and be able to use it since I would be visiting several national parks for approximately 3 months. I would like to know if I can register and use a trailer and tow with my car with Mexican license plates


The catch is this: in what state will you register it? You either need to be a resident of the state, or need to qualify to register it there (which usually means you only use it there) . You'll have to check the main state of your operation to see if they would allow you to register a trailer there as a non-resident, and you'll need US auto insurance to cover it. It might make more sense to bring one from Mexico.

So the answer is this: maybe ... you'll need to contact states individually to see if you qualify for registration and insurance.

Incidentally, if a person considered doing something in Canada, the answer is the same and varies by province and territory in the same way. Just insert "province" or "territory", as appropriate, for "state".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.